Saxophone/Jazz Flute Instructor
2100 Washington Avenue
Miami Beach, Fl 33139
- SoBe Music Institute (Miami's
Institute for Performing Arts) Saxophone & Jazz Flute Instructor (2007 - current)
- Saxophone and Flute Private Instruction, The Music Workshop, North Miami, FL
- Jazz in the Americas Resident Artist, Arts For Learning, Miami, FL
- History of Jazz, Florida International University ALL, North Miami, FL
- History of Jazz, University of Miami SCS, Coral Gables, FL
- Jazz After 1957, University of Miami SCS, Coral Gables, FL
- Jazz Masters Series, National Public Television WLRN-TV, Miami, FL
- Jazz Performance for Small Ensembles, New School University, New York, NY
- Composition Workshops, Berklee College of Music, Boston, MA
- Improvisation Clinics, Berklee College of Music, Boston, MA
- Accomplished saxophonist and flutist with three decades of professional experience.
- Record of achievements as recording artist, bandleader, composer, arranger, producer, and music educator.
- Recorded over 15 albums with independent labels and major record companies.
- Toured throughout United States, Europe and the Far East.
- Trained in music theory and studied with world-renowned musicians and music instructors.
- Teaching credentials include college level courses, master class clinics, middle and high school workshops, and private instruction.
- Experienced music radio commentator and programmer on WERS-FM (Boston), KSAN-FM (San Francisco), KDKB-FM (Phoenix), WMBM-AM (Miami Beach) and WDNA-FM (Miami).
- Host of State of the Arts, arts and entertainment television show on Cable Tap Television (Miami).
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies, Barry University, Miami Shores, FL
- Performance Certificate, Berklee College of Music, Boston, MA
- Advanced Harmony and Composition, Berklee College of Music, Boston, MA
- Music Theory for the Performing Musician, Laney College, Oakland, CA
- Theater Arts, Emerson College, Boston, MA
- Saxophones & Flute, Joe Viola, Director of Berklee College of Music Woodwind Department
- Saxophones & Flute, David Liebman, music educator and Grammy nominated jazz musician
- Saxophones, Joe Henderson, Grammy award winning jazz musician
ARTHUR BARRON accomplished saxophonist and flutist, composer, bandleader, recording artist and music educator, known for his intensely passionate playing and eclectic flair for styles with a distinctive sound of his own. He is a seasoned musician who has performed and recorded with an array of stellar jazz and Latin jazz artists in a career that has spanned over three decades of eventful music.
Barron's main recordings to date have been Impressions with the Afro Blue Band on the Milestone Records label (with Hilton Ruiz, Mario Rivera, David Liebman, Melton Mustafa, Nicole Yarling, Jerry Gonzalez and Steve Berrios), along with Dragon Rose Records releases Late Nite Time, From The Archives, Footprints, and Soul Messenger CD’s.
A native of Boston, Massachusetts, Barron attended Berklee College of Music, influenced by both hard-bop and rhythm & blues; he studied tenor saxophone and flute with Joe Viola, Director of Berklee's Woodwind Department. In the mid 1970's, he spent time in San Francisco where he made his professional debut playing flute with the Eddie Henderson & Julian Priester band, and was inspired on tenor by Pharoah Sanders, Joe Henderson and David Liebman (taking private lessons with Henderson and studying extensively with Liebman). After a period spent in Spain in the late '70's, Barron moved to New York, where he led a number of R&B horn oriented groups, a jazz quintet, and started playing as a sideman with Hilton Ruiz.
Barron played in New York, Boston and San Francisco through much of the 1980's, and then moved to Miami Beach, Florida where he led the popular jazz fusion band Lost in the Shuffle. 1988-91 was spent in Hong Kong where he led a house band at The Jazz Club in the Lan Kwai Fong entertainment district and toured with Dr. Lonnie Smith before returning to Florida, where he has made Miami his home base.
Barron has led a number of notable bands in Miami, appearing with Hilton Ruiz, Dr. Lonnie Smith, Mike Gerber, Abel Papon, Delmar Brown, Melton Mustafa, Jerry Gonzalez, Mario Riviera, Nestor Torres, Randy Bernsen, Nicole Yarling, Bob Grabowski, Pepé Aparicio, Jonathan Joseph, John Yarling, Archie Peña, Oscar Salas, Steve Berrios, Carlos ‘Patato’ Valdez and Mongo Santamaria among many others.
In addition to performing and recording, Barron is a well known music educator, he has taught jazz courses at Florida International University and University of Miami and, was a artist-in-residence with Arts for Learning Jazz in the Americas Program. He is also a much sought after saxophone and flute instructor, currently teaching private lessons at SoBe Music Institute in South Beach