A strong relationship between a service supplier, implementation marketing consultant, or company is vital to the success of any implementation, integration, or execution of your advertising methods. Whereas the seller has experience within the services or products they’re offering, the institutional information of the shopper is simply as necessary.
Whereas many corporations work from a dialog to a proposal, to a handshake, there’s an unlimited threat to each events concerned. It’s human nature for either side of a transaction to be optimistic concerning the tempo, course of, deliverables, and timeline related to any engagement. Nevertheless, each events come on the relationship with assumptions… many who aren’t disclosed within the negotiation course of nor documented within the proposal.
Why Develop A Assertion of Work (SOW)?
In a latest submit, I had written concerning the steps you need to take when launching your company. Included have been two vital contractual paperwork that I like to recommend:
- Grasp Service Settlement (MSA) – The final contract overlaying the connection between our group and the shopper’s group. This has nothing to do with the precise undertaking deliverables – it’s a contract that units expectations on how our corporations will work collectively.
- Assertion of labor (SOW) – a doc that particularly outlines the phrases, deliverables, and sources required to finish a particular undertaking or activity.
In case you’re doing ongoing work with a shopper, separating the 2 is right since you may merely suggest every engagement with a brand new SOW however you don’t need to renegotiate the MSA that covers the general relationship.
The SOW is a doc that protects each the seller and the provider to make sure expectations are agreed upon. The method of growing the SOW is a collaborative one, the place the provider usually presents the SOW after which the seller walks via modifications in these deliverables and the related finances.
What Sections Ought to Be In A Assertion Of Work?
The precise sections included in a press release of labor can differ relying on the character and scope of the undertaking, however typically, it ought to embrace the next:
- Introduction – This part supplies an outline of the undertaking and its goal, in addition to any related background info.
- Scope of labor – This part outlines the particular duties and deliverables which are included within the undertaking, in addition to any exclusions or limitations.
- Goals and deliverables – This part outlines the particular objectives and outcomes of the undertaking, in addition to the particular deliverables that might be supplied upon completion.
- Necessities – This part outlines any particular necessities or constraints that should be met in an effort to full the undertaking, resembling technical specs or compliance necessities. It ought to cowl each the seller’s necessities in addition to the shopper’s necessities.
- Schedule – This part outlines the timeline and milestones for the undertaking, together with any deadlines or milestones that should be met. If it’s an ongoing relationship, it ought to specify the deliverables and their periodicity of supply. Remember to embrace how usually conferences might be held and who is anticipated to be current.
- Assets – This part outlines the sources that might be required to finish the undertaking, together with personnel, authorization, entry to platforms, software program, licenses, and different supplies. Inside this part, setting expectations on response occasions and the service stage settlement is necessary. We frequently element what our assist and coaching tasks are versus the shopper’s tasks – particularly because it pertains to third-party platforms.
- Funds – This part outlines the finances for the undertaking, together with any prices for supplies, labor, and different bills. It’s crucial that you just doc how your invoices might be paid, when they are going to be paid, who’s your key billing contact, and what occurs within the occasion of a dispute or unpaid bill.
- Threat Administration – This part outlines any potential dangers or points that will come up throughout the undertaking and the way they are going to be managed. This could embrace any remediation which may be mandatory if surprising points come up… and they’ll!
- High quality management – This part outlines the standard management measures that might be put in place to make sure that the undertaking meets the required requirements. It usually goes via the acceptance procedures and specifies who will approve the general deliverables.
- Change Requests – Particulars are all the time misplaced on this course of and purchasers will usually request further help or the seller could need to work round points that weren’t disclosed. It’s necessary to doc what the change request course of is in order that these modifications and any subsequent charges are disclosed and agreed upon.
- Termination – This part outlines the circumstances beneath which the undertaking could also be terminated, in addition to any penalties or obligations that will consequence from termination.
- Appendices – This part could embrace any further supporting info or paperwork which are related to the undertaking, such because the MSA, different licensing particulars, contracts, or technical specs.
And naturally, an important component:
- Signatures – The identify, signature, and date of the events which are licensed to enter the contract out of your firm and your shopper’s firm.
Transferring Ahead With Your Signed SOW
When a shopper indicators with us, our operations supervisor meets to evaluation the SOW after which interprets it into our undertaking administration platform… rigorously documenting every deliverable, the timeline, and the accountable celebration. The SOW is rigorously sectioned and numbered in order that we are able to check with it at any time when discussing it internally with our staff or getting clarification from the shopper.
By guaranteeing your undertaking administration system is totally documented to your SOW, any new requests stand out from the deliverables you may resolve whether or not or not they may require a change request.
Disclosure: All the time have an legal professional evaluation your SOW and MSA earlier than distributing them to a shopper to make sure you’re not placing your small business in danger. Whereas it’s crucial that your legal professional evaluations your MSA, a evaluation of your SOW template could also be high-quality.